Based on the Type of Relation that is specified in the descriptor relationType, an associated and specific locator, accession, or identification is designated by using relationIdentifier.
Use an authority file to determine how to properly enter names and organizations. In general, PBCore recommends the following rules for entering personal names and corporate or organizational names:
FOR PERSONAL NAMES:
Enter personal names in inverted form using commas as indicated here:
- LastName, FirstName MiddleName, Suffix.
- Substitute a MiddleInitial for a MiddleName as appropriate, or ignore if not available.
- The suffix is any type of academic credential (Ph.D., Ed.D.) or familial lineage (Smithee, Alan, III)
FOR CORPORATE OR ORGANIZATIONAL NAMES:
Enter corporate names in full direct form.
- Use the most specific and commonly used official name for an organization if it is distinctive enough to identify the group.
- If a particular subdivision of an organization is intended, identify both the more encompassing group as well as the subdivisions.
- The hierarchy (main group and subdivision) starts with the main group, followed by <period space>, then the subdivision.
- For example:
- State of Utah. Film Commission
- Smithee Productions. Educational Division
- Wisconsin Public Television. Extension Division
For a very enlightening discussion on the complexities of entering and displaying names, see "Representing People's Names in Dublin Core."