Use an authority file to determine how to properly enter names and organizations. In general, PBCore recommends the following rules:
FOR PERSONAL NAMES:
Enter personal names in inverted form using commas as indicated here:
- LastName, FirstName MiddleName, Suffix.
- Substitute a MiddleInitial for a MiddleName as appropriate, or ignore if not available.
- The suffix is any type of academic credential (Ph.D., Ed.D.) or familial lineage (Smithee, Alan, III)
FOR CORPORATE OR ORGANIZATIONAL NAMES:
Enter corporate names in full direct form.
- Use the most specific and commonly used official name for an organization if it is distinctive enough to identify the group who is considered to be a contributor.
- If a particular subdivision of an organization is the actual contributor, identify both the more encompassing group as well as the subdivisions.
- The hierarchy (main group and subdivision) starts with the main group, followed by <period space>, then the subdivision.
- For example:
- State of Utah. Film Commission
- Smithee Productions. Educational Division
- Wisconsin Public Television. Extension Division
FOR CONTRIBUTOR ROLES:
To identify the specific role associated with a contributor, use the companion descriptor contributorRole.
For a very enlightening discussion on the complexities of entering and displaying names, see "Representing People's Names in Dublin Core."